Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Iron Diet

Morning: Hemaplex Iron Supplement and orange juice
Bagel or oatmeal an hour or so later - since I'm supposed to take the iron on an empty stomach

Lunch: Spinach salad with parmesan, white beans, pumpkin seeds, bell peppers (red, yellow and orange) and balsamic vinegar
Something else an hour or so later - burrito or grapefruit or a piece of bread - because I'm still hungry

Snack: Green protein drink

B-12 sublingual dot when I get home

Dinner: Normal dinner plus some sauteed spinach w/ nuts (sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, etc)

calcium/magnesium supplement before I go to bed

So yeah, vitamin C increases absorption and calcium/caffeine/alcohol decreases absorption. Spinach/Kale/Swiss Chard and nuts and beans tend to have a lot of iron, as well as some bread/bagels/cereal. Tofu and whatever is in the Morningstar fake meats have good levels or iron too.

I ate albacore tuna for the first time in like over 10 years thinking it would have iron. I went with the intention of trying salmon but the place was out of salmon. When I got home I researched it and tuna really doesn't have that much iron. oh well.

3 comments:

brenbot said...

this is informative. thank you.

Damion said...

Do you have any data on iron amounts in Del Taco burritos?

tamrobot said...

i don't know about del taco, but el pollo loco BRC burrito has 25% of your daily value of iron! Booyah.